Baklava Ice Cream
Baklava is a famous dish in the Mediterranean. Its famous for being aromatic, nutty, sticky, sweet and delicious. Many countries claim they started baklava including Greece, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey. Food historians actually looked into the origin of the food and it started in Topkapi Palace which was an Istanbul palace from the Ottoman Empire. It was designed and created by an Armenian based chef. Either way, baklava is lovely wherever its from! Also in the Mediterranean, they traditionally serve baklava with ice cream so I came up with a quick baklava recipe (this recipe doesn’t require extensive layering) and put it right on top of ice cream! Its just perfect!
4-5 phyllo sheets
1 stick of butter
3/4 cup of ground almonds
½ tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup vanilla ice cream
1 tablespoon of grounded pistachio
Dash of cinnamon
Teaspoon of rosewater
1) Preheat oven to 375F.
2) Melt butter on low to medium heat and clear off white yogurt residue that builds up on top. By doing this, you are essentially making your own clarified butter.
3) In a bowl, break up 4-5 phyllo sheets into bite size pieces.
4) Add grounded almonds to bowl. Toss the bowl mixture with the clarified butter.
5) Add a dash of cinnamon, brown sugar and honey.
6) Transfer mixture to baking dish and cook for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool and add in rose water and mix well.
7) Scoop out vanilla ice cream (I used almond milk vanilla ice cream) and add baklava pieces on top and sprinkle with pistachios. Fun and yummy!